South Padre Island
Prepare for paradise as you cross the Queen Isabella Causeway to South Padre Island and leave the rest of the world behind you. A barrier island, separating the Gulf of Mexico and the blue waters of Laguna Madre, South Padre Island is a tropical paradise of soft white sandy beaches, turquoise waters and magnificent sunsets. Only a half mile wide, South Padre Island is a true island getaway with 34 miles of beaches, sand dunes and world-class activities.
Relaxation and Recreation
If you are looking for a destination of sun, lazy beach days and sandcastles – or an action packed beach vacation parasailing over the blue waters, kiteboarding, windsurfing, scuba diving and dancing till dawn – South Padre Island is your destination. Embark on a pirate adventure cruise or watch the ships come and go from Pier 19 at the end of the old railroad line. Fish off the jetties at Isla Blanca Park, on an off shore charter or at Lower Laguna Madre where world-class fishing abounds. As your day ends and the sun sets over the Laguna Madre Bay, the streets come alive with fireworks, vibrant shopping and bars, restaurants and nightclubs bursting with live music.
- Sea Turtle Inc – Create lifetime memories visiting the Turtles. April to November is nesting season.
- South Padre Island Dolphin Research & Sea Life Nature Center – Discover incredible sea creatures as you stroll through the touch tanks and aquariums or get close up and personal with the dolphins on a dolphin tour.
- Schlitterbahn Beach Resort - One of South Padre Island’s biggest attractions with an outdoor and indoor water park for year round fun. Beaches, pools, roller coasters, chutes, carousels and hours of fun await you at Schlitterbahn.
- The Whaling Wall – “Orcas off the Gulf of Mexico” is a mural at the South Padre Island Convention Center, a famous and incredible mural raising the awareness of the dangers that marine mammals face.
- South Padre Island Birding and Nature Center – South Padre Island is a premier destination for bird watching. Walk the bay front boardwalk as you observe the birds, natural wildlife and butterflies. Climb the five story tower for spectacular 360 degree views.
- Port Isabel Lighthouse - Enjoy unparalleled birds-eye views of South Padre Island, the Laguna Madre Bay and the Gulf of Mexico from 50 feet above the ground at the historic Port Isabel Lighthouse.
Surround yourself with turquoise waters on South Padre Island, a fun beach destination.